I'm a conferring junkie. I love it. So this question gives me pause. Those are the very best questions. The ones I have to stop and think about for myself.
I'll begin with a little history -- the things I used to find most difficult...
- Getting students to talk about their writing processes.
- Waiting enough so students will respond in a conference.
- Having something to teach.
- Finding something useful to teach.
- Selecting the most powerful teaching point.
- Documenting pertinent information from every conference.
Now the thing I find myself wrestling with is how to transfer my documentation into data to share with principals. I believe conferring offers a wealth of important and useful data for schools. However, until we share this with principals, it may be difficult for them to see the relevance and importance of conferring notes. I'm searching for a way to make data from conferences be a go-to data source for making school-wide, as well as district-wide decisions.